Aka: Nutella Biscotti. I hesitate to name it Nutella Biscotti because I know that there are other brands coming out with their own versions of “Chocolate Hazelnut Spread,” and some of you might use that, but let’s be real here. I use Nutella.
After making my Espresso Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins, I had several enjoyable days of a delightful treat for breakfast. Turns out that I like having something already made and involving no effort in the morning. So now I turn to another snack that I enjoy with my morning coffee: biscotti. I have never actually made biscotti before, and after giving it a try I must admit that I’m awesome at everything. Also, this recipe makes a ton of biscotti, so I should be all set with breakfast for a while AND be able to bring some to work for my coworkers. I’m the nicest!
Here’s what they looked like when I first shaped them:
Here’s what they looked like after the first round of baking:
Here’s what they looked like after the second round of baking:
Here’s what they looked like in the end:
Yeah. I know. Perfection.
Here’s my version of this recipe, gently adapted from a Food.com recipe
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ Tbps unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (Nutella)
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 350, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Add sugar and beat on high for about 2 minutes.
- Beat in Nutella until well incorporated.
- Slowly add flour mixture and stir until thoroughly incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate chips and hazelnuts (the dough will be very thick and difficult to stir).
- With well-floured hands, divide dough into 3½ rectangular log shapes, ½ inch thick, on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and lower heat to 300.
- Use a serrated knife to cut logs into ⅓ - ½ inch thick slices. Arrange them on their sides and bake 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven, turn them over, and bake another 10-12 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack until cooled. Keep stored in an airtight container.